It happens millions of times each week – a customer receives a drink from a Starbucks barista – but each interaction is unique.
It’s just a moment in time – just one hand reaching over the counter to present a cup to another outstretched hand.
But it’s a connection...
We make sure everything we do honors that connection – from our commitment to the highest quality coffee in the world, to the way we engage with our customers and communities to do business responsibly.
From our beginnings as a single store nearly forty years ago, in every place that we’ve been, and every place that we touch, we've tried to make it a little better than we found it.
The Starbucks Story
Our story began in 1971. Back then we were a roaster and retailer of whole bean and ground coffee, tea and spices with a single store in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. Today, we are privileged to connect with millions of customers every day in 76 markets.
Starbucks is named after the first mate in Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick.” Our logo is also inspired by the sea – featuring a twin-tailed siren from Greek mythology.
Our mission: to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
We’ve always believed in serving the best coffee possible. It's our goal for all of our coffee to be grown under the highest standards of quality, using ethical sourcing practices. Our coffee buyers personally travel to coffee farms in Latin America, Africa and Asia to select high-quality beans. And our master roasters bring out the balance and rich flavor of the beans through the signature Starbucks Roast.
Our stores are a neighborhood gathering place for meeting friends and family. Our customers enjoy quality service, an inviting atmosphere and an exceptional beverage in more than 28,000 stores and two immersive Starbucks Reserve™ Roastery locations.
Total stores: 28,039* (as of Dec. 31, 2017)
Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong/Macau, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam.
We offer some of the finest coffees in the world, grown, prepared and served by the finest people. Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience.
We believe in treating our partners with respect and dignity. We are proud to offer comprehensive health coverage for eligible full- and part-time partners; equity in the company through Bean Stock; and the opportunity for eligible U.S. partners to earn bachelor’s degrees with full tuition reimbursement through the Starbucks College Achievement Plan.
Starbucks Company Profile
© 2018 STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Starbucks offers a range of exceptional products that customers enjoy in our stores, at home, and on the go.
- Coffee: More than 30 blends and single-origin premium coffees.
- Handcrafted Beverages: Fresh-brewed coffee, hot and iced espresso beverages, Starbucks® Cold Brew slowsteeped coffee, Frappuccino® coffee and non-coffee blended beverages, Starbucks Refreshers® beverages, smoothies and teas.
- Merchandise: Coffee- and tea-brewing equipment, Verismo® System by Starbucks, mugs and accessories, packaged goods and gifts.
- Fresh Food: Baked pastries, sandwiches, salads, protein boxes and bowls, oatmeal, yogurt parfaits and fruit cups.
- Coffee and Tea: Whole-bean and ground coffee (Starbucks and Seattle’s Best Coffee brands), Starbucks VIA® Instant, Starbucks® Coffee K-Cup® pods, Starbucks® and Teavana® Verismo® pods.
- Ready-to-Drink (RTD): Starbucks® bottled Frappuccino® coffee drinks, Starbucks Discoveries® chilled cup coffees, Starbucks Discoveries Iced Café Favorites®, Starbucks Iced Coffee, Starbucks Doubleshot® espresso drinks, Starbucks Doubleshot® Energy Coffee drinks; Starbucks® Bottled Cold Brew; Starbucks Refreshers® beverages, Evolution Fresh™ bottled juices, Teavana® bottled craft iced teas.
Starbucks Coffee, Seattle’s Best Coffee, Teavana, Evolution Fresh and Ethos Water.
- Starbucks went public on June 26, 1992 at a price of $17 per share (or $0.27 per share, adjusted for subsequent stock splits) and closed trading that first day at $21.50 per share.
- Starbucks was incorporated under the laws of the State of Washington, in Olympia, Wash., on Nov. 4, 1985.
- Starbucks Corporation's common stock is listed on NASDAQ, under the trading symbol SBUX.
Being a Responsible Company
- We have always believed Starbucks can – and should – have a positive impact on the communities we serve. One person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
- It is our vision that together we will elevate our partners, customers, suppliers and neighbors to create positive change.
We focus in four areas where our commitment and scale can make the biggest impact:
- Making coffee the world’s first sustainable agricultural product by doing our part to improve the lives of 1 million people in coffee communities around the world.
- Building and operating the world’s largest green retail business, minimizing our environmental footprint and inspiring others to do the same.
- Investing in pathways to opportunity through education, training and employment.
- Strengthening communities by welcoming all and creating impact on issues that matter.